April 5, 2016

Slipping By

Last week was a blur.  Nothing special, just lots of work to close the quarter and daily stuff at home, so time sped by me and before I realized it the week and weekend were over.

I walked a little on Monday to recover from the Sunday's 12 miler, and then, in keeping with recent trends, on Tuesday I walked to yoga, completed a class for the first time in 6 weeks, walked home and proceeded to be sore throughout my arms, core, and abs for the rest of the week.

Wednesday I eased into speedwork in prep for the Danville 10K.  1 mile w/u. 6X400 (w 1X300) @ McMillan target paces.  Some walking cooldown.  I was supposed to do 8X400 but nature called. 

It's probably for the best that I cut Wednesday's speed short, as Thursday was quite the struggle.  I gave up after 0.71 super slow jogged miles and just walked the rest of my "easy" 4 miler.

Friday I did 3 easy and 0.25 walk.

Saturday, I was supposed to go join some local bay area runners for a loop around Lake Chabot.  I was very much looking forward to this run as these ladies are all more fit than I am and I figured I could really push myself to keep up with them as long as I could.  Unfortunately, my plan had a flaw. E got his Oculus Rift on Friday and invited several of his friends over to try it out.  By 10:30 PM the gaming rig was still open and under modification and the Rift had not yet been deployed.  They were having a great time, but they were loud.  There was no way I was going to be able to go to sleep until they left and it appeared like it was going to be a long night.  I wasn't wrong.  I got to play with the Rift, which was super fun, but I was also one of the early ones to bed at 1 AM.  This is the long explanation (plus some unexpected belly issues on Saturday AM) for why Saturday's run went from the planned 8.5 mile loop with elevation to 0.75 miles of jogging filed by 0.45 miles of walking.

Sunday, I fit in 8.16 every easy slow miles (4.5ish by myself plus another 3.6 with a friend who is ramping back up with run walk intervals after giving birth) plus another 1.42 walking miles in the afternoon while talking with a friend.

The good things here are that I finally started speedwork, I got back in the yoga studio, and I got my total mileage up to 28.51.  The bad thing (obviously) is that I walked way more of the miles than I would like for 10K training.

I've got 9 weeks 'til Danville, and we've got a few trips in that time, so realistically speaking, I think the big goals for me for Danville will be for me to move things around to ensure the following:

1. Get in one speed day per week (or make it up to average a total of 9)
2. Get in at least one core day per week (jump-rope calisthenics, yoga, etc.)
3. Get in at least two 6+ mile runs per week (this is going to be the toughest one, scheduling wise, but I do think it'll result in the best improvement)
4. Get the weekly mileage over 30 and keep it there.

If I can do that, I'll be completely happy with whatever performance I can pull off in Danville (and any local 5 or 10Ks I may throw into the schedule for fitness testing).  It's been so long since I've actually raced a 10K and my fitness is so much lower than historical levels that I want to just focus on getting in a good training cycle, increasing my mileage, and enjoying the goal race.

2 comments:

Jen said...

We missed you on Saturday! Solid goals to work towards for Danville - best of luck!

bt said...

Thanks, Jen!