December 26, 2012

Thankful

I've been battling a sinus infection for the last few days.

This is a fairly common pattern for me.  Every couple of years or so, I run myself ragged, and then, when I finally can stop and slow down to recover, my body just goes into full on melt-down mode.

Last night, I slept 9 hours, fitfully.  Woke this AM, had some coffee and orange juice, then slept again 'til 12:30, had some lunch and lazed about in bed reading and sleeping intermittently 'til 5:30 PM.

I'm about ready to call it a night after the second day of completely bailing on any pretext of a workout.

The sinus pressure is pretty intense, my hips ache, my lower back is sore, my head hurts, my stomach is not right, and I'm exhausted.  And yet, by all big picture measurements, I'm fine.

I've been dressing up and going to social events with friends and family for the holidays every day this week.

I'm not suffering from any debilitating illness, or chronic pain, or undergoing any serious recovery or treatment.

I have so much to be thankful for (not the least of which being a warm place to sleep and recover from this mild illness between overly indulgent meals).

And yet, it took the mild discomfort of the last few days to remind me of that fact.

I look forward to returning to my ordinary level of health and life-enjoyment.  I also look forward to remembering to be grateful and mindful of my blessings when in full health.

No comments: