December 31, 2012

2012: End of Year Check-In

Looking back at 2012's resolutions, I'm clearly batting more than .500.

 In other words, success!

As I've mentioned before, discipline is in the eye of the beholder.

This year, I resolved and met a few of my commitments:

- I read 12,485 pages of pleasure reading books (slightly more than 34 pages per day, killing the original goal of 9,000 pages for the year)

- I ran 2 marathons (The Equinox Marathon in Fairbanks and CIM in all of its crazy weather glory.)

- I studied Mandarin.  So fun.  Big Mandarin group has been one of the best things to come out of this year.  To confirm that my studies have been somewhat effective, I instant messaged some pinyin to a friend in Shanghai yesterday.  She was impressed and less worried about my trip once she realized I could at least type non-tonally identified syllables that bordered on comprehensible Mandarin.  I also accosted a group of Mandarin speaking tourists in Key West and offered to take their picture.  The look of surprise was well worth the mistakes I no doubt made. Good times!

But, like all years, I also missed some of my resolutions.  Despite a goal of weight loss to improve my running performance, I'm heavier (and slower) than when the year started.  And, as I predicted, we missed the healthy veggie yoga night goal, too. 

Oh well 3/5 isn't half bad!

Happy 2013!



No comments: