August 16, 2009

Summer = Tomatoes

For me, Summer is tomatoes. Tomatoes are summer. And that's pretty much it.

So last week's harvest made me very happy, and confirmed that it was Summer, my favorite season:

P1010897

And E making his mother's slow-roasted tomatoes made me even more jubilant, and reminded me that it was still Summer, still my favorite season (mmm... if only you could slow roast without the oven in the Summer...):

P1010898

Gazpacho? Yet more proof of the awesomeness of Summer, and why it's my favorite season:

P1010900

And Caprese? Is there anything more indicative of Summer? Seriously? Italian anything and tomatoes? That's just the essence of Summer:

P1010901

And camping, this weekend? Yeah, that's Summer. But even moreso is returning to this harvest:

P1010953

And, from the harvest, I was inspired to make a Summer soup. The only ingredients not from our garden? Salt, olive oil, and a red bell pepper.

Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup

First, slice tomatoes into 1 cm steaks, and layer in a baking pan. Then, top with sliced peppers from the garden (Pimiento D'espellette and jalapenos) and garlic from the dried harvest. If you are lucky, some random genetic mutation may have happened in your garlic harvest, and you can just use *one* clove (i.e. not a head of cloves, just one). The largest clove you've ever seen:

P1010899

After the garlic, add strips of a red bell pepper and sprinkle with salt and olive oil, and bake for 20 minutes at 350:

P1010954

Turn and mix the tomatoes, and allow to bake for another 20-30 minutes. Puree in a blender. Serve into bowls and top with minced basil. Enjoy!

P1010955

2 comments:

Arvay said...

Awesome photos.

I am up here hoping that my green tomatoes ripen at all. :)

Biting Tongue said...

Thanks!

Even if they don't, you get fried green tomatoes, green tomato pickles, and more...

But I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. You're still getting more light than we are...

-bt