March 10, 2009

Unexplained Insomnia

Generally, when I wake at 3:30 and cannot go back to sleep, I have a good idea of what's bothering me.

Often, I even know what I can do to address it (for example, if I am stressed about work, it is best just to work if I haven't fallen back asleep by 4 AM).

This morning, however, I'm just in a general state of malaise -- I'm frustrated with a few things but if you had asked me before I went to bed if I was particularly stressed, I would have said no.

And yet, I laid in bed awake from 3:30 'til 5:15 and finally got up to try to distract myself into a state where I can fall back asleep.

Maybe I'll do a little work, but only 'cause I can't sleep -- not because I won't get it all done if I don't do it now. I don't mind the early hours when I have to put them in, but when I don't have to...man, this sucks.

I do hope my subconscious finishes processing whatever is bothering it and lets me get back to a regularly scheduled sleeping program. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard it once said that you really have no control over much of your brain. And you lose what little control you have as you age.

Biting Tongue said...

LOL -- inspirational words to live by.

-bt