March 25, 2009

Making the Best of It

Every once in a while, I am reminded that whatever my personality flaws (and trust me, I've got a TON), one of my good qualities (or annoyingly pollyana qualities, depending on your perspective) is that I can't help but make the *best* of a situation that others would consider ridiculous.

Today, for example, I picked up our delivery from our local CSA (we've subscribed for a box for 9 weeks 'til the tomatoes are in full effect), and realized that our harvest was mainly leafy greens.

"No Problem," I think, pretending I don't have a husband who hates leafy greens. That is, until I show up at the house with the big bag of vegetables including parsley, escarole, red cabbage, large leaf lettuce, turnip greens, Orach, and Mei Quin Choy (not to mention the head of savoy cabbage from last week's box that we haven't used and the garden's vigorous heads of various greens).

Yeah, it wasn't a problem, but only because E is awesome.

I started with a plan of making Saag with a collection of the Orach and other leaves. But, then, halfway through, I realized we had leftover roasted vegetables from last week: parsnips, beets, carrots, and onions from the oh-so-modifiable-roasted-winter-vegetable recipe. And, why not add them?

You see where this is going?

I realized the *best* of this situation involved the combination of roasted winter vegetables combined with Saag ingredients.

So that is what I did. And that is what we ate. And it was delicious.

No comments: