March 6, 2008

Thoughts

Anecdotally, the economy, at least where I sit in it, is in the shitter.

-the house across the street from ours, which is gorgeously remodeled and listed at a very reasonable price, has not sold after at least 3 weeks on the market. This is unheard of for our neighborhood, since we moved here. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

-traffic is lighter on my commute.

-the yen is up almost 20% against the dollar since I had the random thought 3 months ago... hmmm... we are going to Japan in the spring, perhaps I should buy some yen...

-lunches with various lawyers in litigation, patent prosecution, corporate work, etc. all confirm a slowdown in spending on the part of their clients.


The last time the economy sucked such that it affected me, personally, I struggled for a while and finally packed up and headed for Italy for one of the greatest adventures of my life. If, for some reason, I am unable to maintain my career during this downturn, I hope I have the courage to go on a similar adventure, although, I admit, I do not have the effort (over a year of night classes in language lessons) or research (reading about Italy incessantly and applying for various linguistic scholarships through the Italian-American cultural embassy in San Francisco) invested to make it as worthwhile as my last adventure.

Not that the lack of preparation or effort will stop me. I mean, an opportunity is an opportunity...

But, I suspect I may have to weather this downturn from the local trenches.

Let us hope we can have the character and strength to improve through the adversity and survive with character...

No comments: