May 7, 2007

All is well in the house of summer

How do I know? Because I came home and it was too hot to serve warm food. Plus, the date we'd picked for our first barbeque was taken by friends who are throwing their own barbeque. And it's hot. Did I mention I didn't want warm comfort food tonight?

So, 2 days after what may be the fastest half marathon course within one-day's driving distance, I took my still recovering and not yet back in the swing of workouts butt home with 2 huge binders from work. I needed a break. But of course, I hadn't done any fresh produce shopping since we were out of town this weekend. Instead of giving up, I considered whether I could compose a cold pasta salad from random bits of preserved foods that were looking lonely (each already opened and waiting to be fully consumed) in the fridge and pantry. And I did. It was fabulous.

!Fabulous!

As in, this dinner is an advertisement for why you should buy good capers, good olives, good sun-dried tomatoes, good pasta...you get my drift. Just buy good preserved foodstuffs anytime you encounter them. Someday, when you want a home-cooked meal and you feel like you have no food, they'll find a way into your menu. And you will be happy.

    Random cold pasta salad


-1 box pasta (I used Barilla Gemelli)
-1/8 red onion, cut into quarters
-1 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
-1/2 bottle of capers, including the vinegar (approx 1/8-1/4 cup?)
-10 spanish olives
-10 pepperoncini, stems removed

1. Bring the water to a boil. Add pasta. Boil and stir while making sauce.
2. Make sauce: pulse cuisinart with onions and pepperoncini 'til well diced. Add the remaining ingredients and turn on for 30 seconds at a time until well chopped.
3. When pasta is al dente, drain. Submerge pasta in cold water. Drain again.
4. Mix sauce with cold pasta.
5. Serve with black pepper and red pepper flakes as garnish.



Enjoy!

No comments: