March 25, 2007

Unexpected Tears

Since we were in Mexico for our actual anniversary (and the hotel left us a "Happy Anniversary" message in both flower petals at 5 PM and on cheesecake for our midnight return from dinner), we put off the consumption of our frozen top layer of wedding cake.

Friday, I transferred the top cake to the fridge. Tonight seemed like a good night to enjoy it.

I opened the box and saw that the roses from our wedding had been frozen as well. They looked so fresh and alive.

I immediately broke into tears.

My dad saw those flowers. They were alive at our wedding. He was alive at our wedding. And it hurt so much to see the vivid symbol of preservation of life for remembrance of such a special day. It hurt in a good way, mind you, but it still pierced so deeply. I sobbed in E's arms. Poor guy. One minute I'm bubbling with enthusiasm about how cute gran was in insisting that she buy the wedding cake cutter and server and get them engraved with our names and the date. And in literally the next moment, the very next moment, I'm sobbing hysterically. He held me. I guess that's what marriage is all about.

When I recovered, we toasted our one year and then some together and then we toasted Daddy (and how much he approved of and loved E and vice-versa).

Turns out, our cake preserved itself quite well. One small piece each and we were beyond satiated. The rest is going in the trash, for caloric equilibrium. But seriously, if you are in the bay area and looking for a fabulous cake that will look amazing on the day of (he matched the frosting to color samples of my bridesmaids' gowns) as well as one year later, flowers and all, look no further than Cero. He rocks. He actually volunteered to bake us a fresh cake for our anniversary and would probably be appalled that we ate the frozen one, but we're wacky like that. We couldn't trouble him to make an entire cake from the photos when we knew we'd only have one small piece each.

So yeah. Happy anniversary us. It's been a rough but wonderful year for us, and I'm so thankful to have been blessed with the wonderful husband and marriage that I have. Frozen cake from a master. Tears. It was a big emotional event. As well it should have been.

No comments: