October 13, 2005

Limping Along

My immune system has come under a stealth attack.

On Tuesday afternoon, I went to the gym, and ran my intervals fairly quickly (did the last four at a 7:30 pace) for a total of about 5 miles. Thirty minutes later, in Spanish class, E asked me, "Are you getting sick?" I answered, "No, I feel fine."

Famous last words.

For the remaining two hours, my snorting, sniffling, and general grossness grew until I left the classroom as a collection of snot and pain. Still, I tried to pretend I was fine.

We went to Mexican food, practiced our Spanish with the waiters and busboys, and I slurped spicy seafood soup to open up my sinuses and distract my throat. The spicy liquid remedy didn't work either. By 11 PM, the words on my textbook were swimming. I gave in for a 15 minute nap and asked E to wake me so that I could finish my reading for the next day. When E woke me, it was clear--I was a goner. My throat and tongue were swollen, it hurt to swallow, me ears were achey and my nose was so stuffed that I had to breath through my mouth. Awesome.

In other news, I believe I've found one of the most ironic Supreme Court sentences ever:

For Example, in Wooley v. Maynard, (cite omitted) we held that a person could not be compelled to display the slogan "Live Free or Die."**

Really? What a country!

**Riley v. National Fed. of the Blind, 487 U.S. 781 (1988).

No comments: