September 22, 2004

Holding On, Barely

At least twice a week, I think that I'd like to quit journal. It's the one activity thus far in law school that I am doing solely for the line on my resume. I don't enjoy it at all--proofreading, cite checking, answering phones, emails--I did all of this stuff in administrative jobs I held between the ages of 14-20. I became an engineer to get away from that crap. I appreciate the hard work done by people who do that type of work, but I successfully spent 6 years not having to do that kind of work for anyone other than myself. A good portion of the journal commitment is basically 40 people working 2 hours per week to do the job of one 40-hour per week administrative assistant.

I'm that person when it comes to journal. I don't enjoy being that person. But... I don't know if I can justify closing all the doors that not doing a journal will close. So, I keep going to office hours, I keep doing the source pulls and tech edits. I keep going through the motions. And soon enough, a year will be over. In any sane world, I wouldn't have to put in another year of this crap since my resume shows I've done it before. But in law... well, there's no accounting for logic...

Frustrating...


UPDATE:

Ambulance Chaser's Decision to withdraw her clerkship applications is inspiring...

No comments: