June 10, 2004

Dear virus email writers:

You need to think a little harder before you compose your emails. Today, I received the following:

Hello user of Yahoo.com e-mail server,
Your e-mail account has been temporary disabled because of unauthorized access.
For details see the attached file.

Kind regards,
The Yahoo.com team

Of course, the attachment was a .pif file. So, the usual logic applies, no one in their right mind will ever save/open an executable file that arrives via email, blah, blah, blah.

But what really showed your genius was the warning of "temporary disablement" of my account. I can only infect my computer with your virus if I take these steps:

1. log into and receive email on the account that's supposedly disabled.
2. download the attachment from the email on the account that's supposedly disabled.

Now do you see the problem?

-bt

No comments: